Monday, October 3, 2011

Clothing For Breast Cancer Survivors With Lymphedema


At age 43 I underwent a lumpectomy and radiation for treatment of my breast cancer. After recovery I found that knitted and spandex tops did not lie as well on my chest. Nor did swimsuits. They accented the asymmetry of my busts. When I developed lymphedema in my left arm, stretchy apparel looked worse due to my swollen arm. In addition to sweaters I shunned garments with deeper necklines and shallow armholes. Further, since I couldn't lift anything heavy with my left arm, I was limited in how I could tote bags with shoulder straps.

All these limitations made me feel like a fashion flop.

When I had a recurrence, I opted for a double mastectomy without reconstruction. I use prostheses for both breasts, making asymmetry less of a challenge. Still I have remained self-conscious of my appearance, wanting to disguise my new-normal body with something at least halfway attractive.

Solutions to these problems do exist. I'm not referring to pink-hued or pink-ribbon-adorned attire to promote breast cancer awareness, although wearing these items is a wonderful way to express support for a loved one afflicted with cancer. Rather I'm referring to practical, stylish clothing that disguises flaws and emphasizes the good features of a breast cancer survivor's figure, while not appearing to be designed for medical purposes.

Swimwear is one such example. I'm a big proponent of mastectomy bathing suits, since swimming is such a great exercise, and more importantly, I love to get in the water. The swimsuits I've seen with pockets for prostheses are both functional and fashionable these days. According to some experts, the most contemporary--albeit more expensive-mastectomy swimsuit styling comes from a line called Anita. Another brand, Amoena, offers a large selection of elegant beachwear to flatter any figure. Other lines of mastectomy bathing suits and caftans include It Figures, T.H.E. and Gottex.

According to WebMD's Breast Cancer Guide, the most popular swimsuit style for women who've undergone a mastectomy is the tankini, a two-piece suit that completely covers the torso. These come in a variety of designs, including a blouson top. I can attest to the practicality and versatility of this type of beachwear.

For arm lymphedema, compression braces have come a long way. Fashionable yet medically functional garments are offered by such innovators as Lymphedivas LLC and Slice of Fashion LLC. There's nothing like a black lacy gauntlet or zebra-zag armsleeve to turn heads and stop conversation at a cocktail party.

At least one company has developed apparel designed specifically for breast cancer survivors with lymphedema. Sansu Function Designs for Living, established through collaboration between Princess Margaret Hospital and Ryerson University School of Fashion in Toronto, Canada, provides an array of innovative products.

One of Sansu's most noted items is a modular bag with a belt to enable the wearer to hold her arm comfortably in a sling design or use the bag as a stylish waist pack. After I had lymphedema, I went back to using my "fanny packs." Even though out of style, they were extremely practical for my active lifestyle. This trendy Sansu bag would never be a fashion faux pas.

Sansu also developed a carry-all coat with dropped shoulders and removable lining, a fleece scarf cape, a dolman-style knitted top with kangaroo pocket for resting the arms or carrying items, and an oxford blouse with dropped shoulders, loose cuffs and magnetic button closures. This company is currently designing patterns to allow seamstresses to make their own clothing for patients with upper body and arm lymphedema.

I am encouraged by how far companies have come in making breast cancer survivors with lymphedema feel less conspicuous in their clothing and more confident in their appearance. While attractiveness may not be every survivor's focus, the availability of chic attire goes a long way to help many survivors, especially younger women, recover emotionally and psychosocially from their cancer treatments. I challenge more in the garment industry to be avant-garde in their approach to this subpopulation of women who love donning trendy outfits. Can athletic garb geared for the cancer survivor with lymphedema be far behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment